One of the most common goals in weight loss programs is to lose that stubborn belly fat. But the thing is, belly fat can be stubborn and hard to lose. Our bodies are designed to store fat, whether you like it or not. Fats are sources of energy and are meant to be good. It is the excess fat that is the problem.
Apart from trying to look great for that party, losing excess belly fat has a bunch of other benefits. Excess belly fat can increase the risk of:
- heart disease
Additionally, excess belly fat is metabolically active. That means it can:
- pump inflammatory substances that can interfere with hormones that control appetite, mood, and brain function
- Increase your stress level
Simply put, excess belly fat is bad for you. Losing it should be one of your goals in your weight loss program. The good news is that you can lose belly fat with dedication and hard work. In this article, I have compiled a list of top exercises that can help you burn your belly fat faster.
Burpees are a killer calorie burner when you do them right. They help you work as many muscles as possible, and that is great for losing your belly fat. A study by the American College of Sports Medicine discovered that doing 10 fast reps of burpees is as effective in increasing your metabolism as a 30-second all-out sprint.
However, you should never go overboard when doing this tough exercise. Make sure to always move without putting your arms and wrists at risk when you hit the ground.
How to do it:
- Start by standing with your feet wide apart.
- Go down and let your palm rest on the floor, about a shoulder-width apart.
- Move your leg backward into a push-up position and do a push-up. Then quickly reverse the movement and quickly jump when you stand.
You can watch how to do Burpees properly here.
2. Mountain Climber
Mountain climber is another exercise that can help you lose that belly fat. You can think of mountain climbers as moving planks with a twist. Think of it as performing planks with crunches!
With mountain climbers, your core is performing more work to keep your body stable and straight when you move your feet off the ground. That’s what makes it perfect for losing excess belly fat.
How to do it:
- Start with a push-up position on the ground, with your body lifted off the ground. Make sure your body forms a straight line from head to heel.
- Then lift a foot and drive it towards the opposite knee to your chest. Repeat the same with the second foot.
- Keep alternating until you complete a rep.
Mountain climbers can be intense, make sure you don’t overdo them. Start small and gradually build your stamina.
Squats are a great way to work your whole body, from building your legs to your contracting your core. Not to mention, squats burn more calories than you think while also increasing your metabolic rate.
There are several types of squats you can try. A great one to start with is the Sumo squats. You can perform squats with weight to add more intensity to your workout. Start with smaller weights and slowly increase the weights as you gain more stamina.
Here is a video to help you with your squats.
Plank exercises are an effective way to strengthen your core muscles and burn excess fats. When you do planks, you are working over a dozen muscles at once. And they are more effective in burning your belly fat in your weight loss program than either crunches or sit-ups.
However, you must be careful about doing planks. You can injure your spine if you do this wrongly. Forearm plank is the most common way of performing plank exercises. Besides that, there are other variations like plank walk, side plank, and up-and-down planks.
How to do Forearm Planks:
- Start by assuming a push-up position. Place your arm on the floor, arms parallel to each other, and separated by a shoulder-width distance.
- Lift your body a few meters above the floor. Ensure your body is in a straight line from head to heel. Keep your eye fixed straight ahead on the floor.
- Hold this position for about 30 seconds if you are just starting. You increase the time once you start building stamina. Don’t try to overwhelm yourself just starting. As soon as you feel your belly start burning up, you can take a quick rest before you continue.
5. Running and Walking
If you prefer outdoor exercises, consider running or walking to up your weight loss program. Walking or running is an effective way to burn your belly fat with little to no guidance and equipment.
Running burns more calories, of course, but if you want a slower pace, walking is great as well. Before you start running or walking, ensure you have a good pair of walking shoes to protect your feet.
The best thing about this exercise is that you can easily incorporate a 30-minute run or an hour walk into your program.
If you are more of an outdoor person, cycling is another good exercise to consider for your weight loss program. It is an intense exercise that works all the muscles in your body. Cycling burns up lots of calories and can help you burn that excess fat as well.
Depending on your speed and intensity, you can burn between 250 to 500 calories in 30 minutes. Before you start cycling, ensure you have all your safety gear. Never take a hike or ride without your protective wears.
7. Rope Jumping
Ten to 20 minutes of rope jumping every day with your over-all fitness plans will definitely help you lose that excess belly fat.
Including rope jumping into your weight loss program is a great and fun way to lose weight fast.
Swimming helps you burn calories and lose excess weight. What more enjoyable way to lose your belly fat than taking a few strokes now and then. If you like swimming and being in the water, you might as well include it in your program.
Belly fat might be stubborn and seem impossible to lose. However, it is not that hard to shake off. Discipline, hard work, and dedication is the key.
Moreover, always stay positive and motivated no matter what happens. Your mindset also matters!